The 10 Cent Windows Solution
Why don't most Windows PC makers include a reinstallation CD in the box? It costs them pennies.
When a hard drive fails, it's a quick fix. A new drive costs about $50 - $100, and it takes seconds to install. You pop open the cover, unclip or unscrew the old drive, then plop in the new one and re-connect the cables. Easy peasy. Unfortunately, that's when your nightmare begins, because most PC manufacturers don't include the Windows reinstallation CD in the box, and without it, you can't restore your computer.
When you spend hundreds, or even thousands of dollars on a new PC, there's no excuse for the manufacturer to exclude the reinstallation discs in the box. It costs the manufacturer about 10 cents or less for the disc, and it saves the owner from the frustration of paying over $100 or more to buy a new copy of Windows if they ever replace their hard drive.
Instead of including the 10 cent reinstallation discs, most PC manufacturers give you a program to make your own reinstallation discs. The problem is most PC buyers don't have blank discs, so they rarely follow the manufacturer's suggestion to make these critical discs. The end result is they have no safeguard in the event that they ever need to replace their hard drive.
Without the original reinstallation disc, if you ever need to replace your hard drive, you have very few options:
1. You could visit the manufacturer's web site and look for a way to download it. Unfortunately, none of the major manufacturers offer this, however they usually have a way to ORDER one via US Mail... for a fee.
2. You could try calling the manufacturer. Good luck with that.
3. You could try using anther Windows disc, unfortunately, this doesn't work either. You can't use another company's Windows disc, not even a generic Microsoft labeled disc, because each manufacturer's serial number needs to match one from the same manufacturer.
4. Lastly, if you don't have time to order one and wait for it to come in the mail, you could buy a new copy of Windows. Unfortunately, you'll end up paying over $100, the full retail price.
This is crazy. Every PC manufacturer should spend the extra 10 cents and make sure every PC comes with the reinstallation disc. Even if they lose this disc, they should also have a way to download it.
Joe Crescenzi, Founder
(Reply N/A) (Edit Topic N/A)
(Like Topic N/A) [0 ] 180 Views
Top 25 Posts
* Note: The ideas on "Idea of the Day" were posted without any formal research into existing inventions.
In some cases, patents may already exist for these ideas, in other cases, there may not be any existing patents and you are free to develop and explore the viability of developing and patenting the ideas.
The authors make no claim that any of the ideas are safe, practical, or suitable for any particular purpose. You are responsible for the results of trying, developing, patenting or using any of the ideas on this site.
For some people, our ideas are just an interesting read, but our goal is to encourage you to take action. If you see an idea that you like, do something with it... Take action.